Most people who choose to get an electric-powered leaf blower often opt for the cordless variety. When you consider the differences between the two, this will not come as a surprise.
Corded electric blowers dramatically limit your mobility. They get stuck on cars, furniture, trees… you name it. You will often find yourself untangling the cord rather than actually getting the job done!
Not to mention, your work area is limited by the length of your extension cord. This is a huge pain for anyone with a large property.
With that said, a cordless leaf blower is not without its pitfalls. They do offer maneuverability that can’t be match by corded models.
However, cordless units are often plagued with short runtimes. It can be a pain to run out of juice in the middle of a job and have to wait while your battery charges back up.
This is why it is so important to consider a few different models when selecting a leaf blower. Each offer different features that will meet varying needs.
GreenWorks 2452 G-MAX 40V 150 MPH Variable Speed Cordless Blower
The GreenWorks G-Max 40V Blower is one of the most energy efficient cordless leaf blowers on the market. Of course, that’s not the only thing it has going for it thanks to its user-friendly features:
- Contains a high-performance G-Max 40V lithium ion battery that provides fade-free power. It is also strong enough to prevent memory loss after charging.
- Multiple speed settings allow wind speeds up to 150mph. Offers separate speed options on the sweeper tip for increased user control.
- The lightweight design improves efficiency and allows for maximum ease of use.
- On a full charge, you can run the blower at full speed for 30 minutes.
- Speed dial is located beneath your thumb for quick and easy access to controls.
- Very light and easy to handle.
- Lacks enough power to do any yard work or clean your gutters.
- Many reported issues of the unit breaking after only a few months of use.
Makita DUB182Z 18V LXT Lithium Ion Cordless Blower
Makita has long been known for offering a great line of tools. This cordless blower is no exception. For quick jobsite cleanups or tidying up around your home, this cordless blower is a great option.
- Offers multiple speeds ranging from 0-18,000 RPM to give you more control.
- Small and compact design, complete with an ergonomic handle for easy carry.
- Two-finger speed trigger switch is easy to use, even when wearing gloves.
- Superior power-to-weight ratio thanks to Makita’s 18V LXT Lithium Ion battery.
- Able to squeeze behind tight spaces that would otherwise be difficult to clean.
- Blows away leaves and other light debris, without disturbing mulch and gravel.
- Easily swap out the nozzle and the battery.
- Doesn’t have a lock switch on the trigger. This becomes tiresome while using for longer periods of time.
- Doesn’t come with a battery; this must be purchased separately.
Sun Joe iONBV 40V 4.0Ah Variable Speed Cordless Blower
The Sun Joe 40V Cordless Blower is a high-end model with a lot of features. Its 3-in-1 design allows it to stand out from the competition.
- 3-in-1 design features a blower, vacuum and mulcher. You can easily switch between each function.
- Includes a 16-gallon vacuum bag.
- Offers 6 speed controls that range as high as 200 mph.
- High-impact impeller shreds leaves with a 17:1 reduction ratio.
- The 3-in-1 design allows you to get the entire job done from start to finish.
- Uses a high-quality battery with a long lifespan.
- Mulcher grinds up leaves to 1/17th their regular size. This allows you to fill more inside the bag.
- Bulkier than other handheld cordless blowers which are tiresome to carry around the yard.
- The zipper on the vacuum bag is made of plastic and gets stuck easily.
When choosing a cordless leaf blower, it is inevitable that you will struggle with a short runtime. That appears to be the case for this model as well.
Although this is a pain for longer jobs, it is arguably better than dealing with a corded model. You will save yourself from untangling cords which is a time-consuming process in itself.
The power on these cordless models is sufficient across the board. Although you won’t be completing any heavy-duty tasks, the power is enough to satisfy the majority of users.
When choosing a cordless leaf blower, there are a few important things to consider.
First of all, look at the durability of each model. While the Makita and Sun Joe are both well made, the GreenWorks leaves a lot to be desired. Many buyers have complained of the unit breaking after very little use.
You will also want to consider the size of job you need to complete. Each of these cordless models will be sufficient for small “around the house” jobs.
However, the Sun Joe with its 3-in-1 design will be the most efficient due to its 3-in-1 design. Unlike the other models, the Sun Joe allows you to gather, vacuum, mulch and dispose of leaves.
Despite its convenience, you should consider the size. What you gain in features will also be gained in additional weight. If you require a lightweight tool for small jobs, then you’d be better off choosing the Makita or GreenWorks.
We cannot recommend the GreenWorks cordless leaf blower for the simple fact it does not have the design quality of the other two models. There have been numerous reports of breakage and poor reliability. For the price, you should not have to worry about such an early breakdown.
Although the Makita model is cheaper than the Sun Joe, it lacks a lot of the additional features. Since it does not come with a battery or charger, you will need to factor this into the price.
The Makita model isn’t quite as powerful as the Sun Joe. However, it is important to consider the size. The Makita is significantly smaller, and much easier to carry than the Sun Joe.
This makes it a better option for doing small jobs that don’t require a lot of heavy lifting.