A long time ago, raking leaves used to be a lot of hard work. Then came gas leaf blowers and yard cleaning has never been the same. People were happily contented until they grew tired of mixing gas and oil and pulling ropes. Not to mention, running a gas leaf sweeper was deafening.
Along came the electric leaf blower. Yard cleaning became easier and definitely less noisy. But you can only go as far but no further when the cord begins to tug.
Then generations of leaf blowers arrived. They get the job done as fast as possible. They are boundless. One of those is the EGO Power+ 480 CFM Cordless Leaf Blower. Let’s check out this leafblower’s features and see if we’ve finally gotten ourselves a keeper.
Features of EGO Power+ 480 CFM Cordless Leaf Blower
- a high-efficiency brushless motor
- a turbine fan engineering that delivers up to 480 CFM
- a 3-speed design (low, high, and turbo)
- a maximum speed of 92 mph
- a weather-resistant construction
- a ≤65 noise rating
- a 8” x 6.7” x 35.8” measurement
- a 5.1-pound item weight
- a 5-year tool warranty (when purchased from authorized dealers)
- a 3-year battery kit warranty (when purchased from authorized dealers)
- an interchangeable battery system with other EGO Power+ products
- powered by either 2.0Ah or 2.5Ah 56V Lithium-Ion battery kits, which may or may not come with the unit.
- It is lightweight, quiet, boundless, and odorless.
- It does the job for small areas without the battery dying on you. It gets 60 minutes of run-time on low speed, 18 minutes on high, and 10 minutes on a turbo.
- The battery is easy to detach and charge.
- The charger features a light indicator that prevents you from overcharging your batteries.
- The operator buttons are intuitive.
- Battery life may be short for large areas. Battery replacements can also be very expensive, costing as much as a cheaper leaf blow dryer with a change to keep.
- Battery charging mode is a bit noisy due to the built-in fan system to keep the battery from overheating.
- Although there is a strap slot on the leaf blower, it doesn’t come with one.
- The handle could use some ergonomic improvement. It is also not well-balanced, making it awkward to handle for long periods of time. Perhaps, the handle should be more forward.
- A battery gauge, concentrator adjustment, reverse flow feature, and a vacuum bag would have been welcome additions.
The Ego Power Cordless Leaf Blower Summary
The Ego Power+ 480 CFMCordless Leaf Blower is a compact and lightweight tool. It has a grey body with green switches and buttons and a black tube. Just like most battery-powered leaf sweepers, it is not limited by the length of a cord, it doesn’t reek of gasoline or oil because it doesn’t need either, and it is quieter to work with.
A noticeable difference in its design compared to other leaf blowers is its straight tube. GreenWorks 2400702 cordless jet leaf blower, for example, has a tapered tube. Had EGO Power+ 480 CFM gone for this type of tube, a concentration attachment would not have been missed. The wide-mouthed tube though allows for bigger coverage. As it is, since the tube is straight, a nozzle would have been a great addition to the unit for some versatility.
The EGO Power+ 480 CFM Cordless Leaf Blower also has some ergonomic issues which are an important consideration, especially when working long hours. It doesn’t seem to balance well; that’s barely noticeable or bothersome though when you’re working for shorter times. But it takes its toll on your hands and arms when you need to exert effort in balancing it.
This leafblower is powerful although not as strong as most gas leaf blowers, but it is a battery operated blower. With 480 CFM air flow at 92 MPH, EGO’s leaf sweeper performs as well as the Snapper XD SXDBL that does 550 CFM air flow at 130 MPH. Nevertheless, it gets the job done sans the deafening noise from a gas leaf blower or the scope limitation from a corded unit.
A drawback to this leaf sweeper, in terms of performance, is not the unit itself but its battery. If you just use the low speed, which is sometimes enough, the battery will last you around 45-60 minutes. But if you use turbo, the battery will last you a lousy 10 minutes. So a spare battery might be necessary, especially if you have a big area to use the leafblower for. Notably, this problem is common among battery-powered leaf blowers. So this is an area for improvement for all leaf blowers or their batteries.
A great thing going for this leaf blower though, or for EGO Power+ products in general, is that they have an interchangeable battery system. So if you have another EGO Power+ product, you can just use its battery when the one for the leaf blower runs out. This feature is a design win for this cordless leaf sweeper as well as for the EGO brand itself.
The EGO Power+ 480CFM Cordless Leaf Blower is somewhat expensive for a non-heavy-duty cordless leaf blower with basic functions. It is in the price range of Snapper XD SXDBL. Still, GreenWorks 2400702 cordless jet leaf sweeper is way much cheaper than the two.
Overall, the EGO Power+ 480 CFM Cordless Leaf Bloweroffers a good value for your money. One drawback, which is the battery power, is not unique to this brand or any model today. But, 60 minutes of run time at low speed is pretty good. High speed will provide 18 minutes, which can be enough time for most sidewalk, smaller driveways and patio clean ups.
If you’re looking to use this to clean up a smaller area’s, the EGO Power Cordless Leaf Blower may turn out to be the best electric leaf blower for you. But if you have a bigger lawn with lots of leaf cleanups to do, you might need to consider getting a spare battery or buy another EGO Power+ product for your yard so that you can just swap batteries between tools.
If you feel that you need bigger than its 480 CFM and 92 MPH offering, there’s Snapper XD SXDBL cordless sweeper that does 550 CFM at 130 MPH, which is also a keeper.