Just like any great invention, the lowly leaf blower was born out of necessity during the Fifties. Due to an extended drought period in California during the 1950s, one enterprising citizen thought of using air instead of water that was in limited supply at that point in time.
Fast forward to 60 years later and new leaf blowers, like the Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum, are still being released with sustainable improvements from previous models.
Leaf blowers were first used to replace manual garden clean-up tasks, and other features were slowly added, as mechanical technology gradually improved. During its inception, the leaf blower was a contraption that you need to carry, like a backpack with an air hose attached to the gasoline engine.
Types of Leaf Blowers
Currently, there are four types of leaf blowers that are available:
- Electric Handheld Blower – handheld blowers generally work well in small areas as their power is meant to be used for such. Electric handhelds, like the Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum, come in two options: battery and corded. All the current models have varying degrees of power but the majority of which are seen as inferior to the handheld gas-powered ones.
- Gas-powered Handheld Blower – these leaf blowers are more maneuverable than electric ones since they do not need any cords in order to run. They generally have more power but they are more expensive, and they are heavier than electric handhelds.
- Gas-powered Backpack Blower – these blowers have the classic backpack design and are more designed for commercial use given its power and large fuel capacity. They usually weight twice as much as handheld models and have a higher sound register.
- Self-propelled Walk Behind Blower – the largest type of leaf blower, self-propelled blowers are usually pushed forward like a lawn mower and scatters leaves and debris with high power. This is typically the most expensive and the heaviest of all blowers.
Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum Features
- 3-in-1 Machine – the Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum not only blows away leaves, but it also acts like the best leaf vacuum as it shreds them into mulch. The blower is best for dry leaves, the vacuum adaptor is more suited for wet leaves, and another attachment can handle tight corners
- Shredz-All Ring – this attachment has a metal impeller that reduces mulched debris to fewer than half-an-inch, depending on the type of debris being shredded.
- Oscillating Nozzle Kit – the nozzle kit gives the Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum a wider clearing power with automated movements that effectively lessens the time required to complete a task.
- High-powered Blower – Toro’s powerful engine can generate up to 250 mph of wind for superior blowing.
- Speed Control – this leaf blower vacuum has a variable speed control that lets you control both the vacuum and the blower even while in use.
- Cord Storage Hook – the hook allows you to wrap the cord around it for easy storage. The built-in cord lock also helps keep the cord out of the way.
- Saves Time – the powerful blower of the Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum brings down the number of hours needed for raking leaves to mere minutes.
- Less Noise – compared to other models with less power, the Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum generates less noise even with the power that it has.
- Light and Powerful – this leaf blower is surprisingly lightweight given the amount of power that it can generate.
- Switching can be hard – transitioning between blower to vacuum can be a little awkward especially when you are using it. Be sure to turn it off first before switching to either vacuum or blower modes.
- Cords Loosen Easily – the cord storage hook is placed at an off angle, and there is a high chance that the cords will loosen while in storage. Utilize zip ties or gardening twine to act as additional support.
- Shredder Clogs – the mulching shredder can get clogged easily if not properly monitored while in vacuum mode.
The Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum is a versatile complement to a gardening shed. It is very powerful and is able to deliver up to 250mph output. Its shredder can convert wet leaves into mulch and compress them into compact compost.
This leaf blower also has an oscillating nozzle that automatically directs the flow of air so that you don’t have to minimize the time and effort needed to accomplish your gardening tasks even further.
The WORX 32-Volt AIR Multi-Purpose Blower/Sweeper/Cleaner comes close to the Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum when it comes to the number of features but the Toro 51621 has twice as much power, and the Shredz-All shredder is more effective when it comes to mulching wet leaves.
Even though the WORX 32-Volt AIR Multi-Purpose Blower/Sweeper/Cleaner has more attachments, the Toro leaf Vacuum and blower can do most of the tasks that the other attachments of the WORX do and even more.
It’s modern profile, and durable materials make the Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum an excellent addition to any gardening shed. Its ability to switch from blower to vacuum and the oscillating nozzle give this blower the edge over other handheld blowers.
This product underwent rigorous testing to ensure that it can generate the maximum blowing power under controlled conditions. The Toro model is considered to be the best leaf vacuum since it has variable speed control that lets you manipulate the settings while in use. It also has a quick release latch that converts the blower into a vacuum, even while in use.
While in vacuum mode, everything passes through the Shredz-All shredder that minces it to mulch and dumps it into a vacuum bag that has a zipper at the bottom which allows you to unload mulch quickly.
This same vacuum bag, also acts as the storage bag of the entire Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum unit. After the work is done just place it inside and hang on a hook inside the shed or garage until it’s time to use it again. This model is highly recommended and will last for many years to come.
You might also like: Husqvarna 360BT Blower Review – One Powerful Leaf Blower !